The classic yoga stretches are excellent for the back as they stretch the spine. This pose also stretches the leg muscles and it simulates the liver, kidneys and groin. In addition, it calms the mind and simulates the brain.
- Sit, keeping your legs stretched out straight in front of you.
- Bend your left knee outward, bringing your left foot inward so it rests against your inner right thigh and groin.
- Bend forward till you touch the toes of your right foot, without bending the right knee.
- Keep stretching till you touch your head to your knees. This may not be possible initially, and would take a few days of practice.
- Repeat with the left foot.
- Once you've done this, you could try touching your head to your knees with both feet stretched out straight in front of you. This is even harder to achieve.
- Stretch gradually. Don't jerk. This will only injure your ligaments defeating the purpose.
<< Back to yoga